Building for the future since 1948
The MBTA Retirement Fund (the “Retirement Fund”) is committed to the health and safety of its Members, retirees, beneficiaries, and employees. To better ensure a safe office environment, the Retirement Fund has implemented the following protocols with guidance from the CDC, OSHA, the Commonwealth and the City of Boston health department. These protocols will be in effect beginning on May 2, 2022 and continue until further notice. Please be sure to check our website (www.mbtarf.com) for important notices.
- Telephone Hours. Monday through Friday, except holidays, from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, you can contact the Retirement Fund at (617) 316-3800 or (800) 810-6228.
- In-Person Services. Monday through Friday, except holidays, from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, the Retirement Fund is open for in-person services, as described below. You will be required to wear a mask to enter the Retirement Fund office. If you are experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or were recently exposed to someone that had COVID-19, then you should not visit the Retirement Fund’s office
- Limited Walk-In Services. The Retirement Fund’s walk-in services are currently limited to a 15-minute maximum per visitor. In addition to a Retirement Fund staff member being available to receive drop off materials at the Retirement Fund office, the following services are available for walk-in visitors:
- – Change of address;
- – Direct deposit information;
- – Notification of deceased members;
- – Dropped off Fund correspondence; and
- – Return of contribution applications.
- Services Requiring an Appointment. All other services offered by the Retirement Fund require a scheduled appointment. These services include:
- – Retirement benefit estimates;
- – Creditable service reviews;
- – Review of disability-related retirement applications;
- – Retirement applications and consultations;
- – Workmen’s compensation service credit reviews; and
- – Document notarization services.
We encourage you to review our website (www.mbtarf.com) for additional retirement benefit information and access to forms that you may need to conduct business with the Retirement Fund both in-person and remotely.
Please call our office at 617-316-3800 if you have any questions. Someone on our Staff will return your call as soon as possible. We also encourage you to send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority Retirement Fund is a private trust created in 1948 by the Metropolitan Transit Authority, the predecessor agency to the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (“MBTA”) and The Boston Carmen’s Union, Amalgamated Transit Union Local 589. Our mission then, as now, is to provide retirement benefits for our members – the transit workers and other employees of the MBTA. To ensure that the pensions earned by active and retired members, and their beneficiaries, remain secure, we are dedicated to managing a strong and diversified investment program.
Click to Access
- Retirement Guide Mar 28th 2022
- 2021 ACFR Jun 23rd 2022
- 2021 Audit Jun 23rd 2022
- 2021 Fund Snapshot Jun 23rd 2022
- June 2022 Milestones Dec 13th 2018
- April 2023 Minutes & Flash May 22nd 2023
- MBTARF COVID-19 Response Apr 21st 2020
- 2022 Mid Year Report to the Board Aug 30th 2021
- July 2022 Contribution Rates Jun 27th 2018
- Member Bill of Rights Nov 22nd 2021
- Pension Agreement Sep 27th 2022